"This is how you can live your life without worrying about neck pain"
ENJOY HEALTHY RELATIONSHIPS
Without neck pain, you will be free from bad temper and anxiety. You will be able to talk to your colleagues about important issues at hand, plan a wonderful vacation for our partner or spend time with your loved ones playing some active sports.
READY TO FIGHT THE BATTLES FOR THE DAY
Without neck pain, you will be able to maintain 100% focused on the task at hand. Because you are so focused, you will be able to achieve the results you want. There is no excuse to reduce your expectations and settle for less.
Living an active lifestyle
Without neck pain, you will be able to participate in high-intensity sports such as rock climbing, skydiving, rugby and football. You can play at your best, knowing that you have no physical pain to worry about. You can keep your fitness level at an optimal level. After all, your body is in tip-top condition.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF NECK PAIN
Understanding Neck Pain, Usual Causes & Treatments
TYPICAL NECK PAIN
Neck pain can be defined as a form of pain that originates in the cervical spine. Neck pain can be considered as a common issue, with more than a third of a billion suffering from it. It can be a debilitating problem for many Singaporeans and can result in dire consequences if not treated properly.
Neck pain originates from several reasons. These are the following causes:
- Muscle and ligament strain, particularly from poor posture, or caused by an injury.
- Sitting for long hours looking at a computer, studying, or working
- Spend too much time looking down at your mobile device
- Heavy School Bag for Children
- Improper Sleeping Position
Neck pain can be self-limiting and will dissipate on its own within a few weeks at most.
However, a neck pain that is persistent requires faster intervention. Some of these complications to take note of are:
- Degenerated Disc
- Joint Disease
- Spinal Stenosis
Signs and Symptoms
What does neck pain feel like?
- General soreness generally on one area of the neck
- The neck muscles are tense, sore and feels hard when touching it
- Having a stiff neck. You have difficulty turning your head to one side.
- Weakness in your arms or legs if it involves the nerve
- A tingling sensation in the arms, fingers or shoulders. As a consequence, you may have difficulty lifting an object.
Whiplash describes a neck injury caused by a sudden forceful jerk which damages the neck, or backbone structures and soft tissues. While they are usually not life-threatening, they can result in permanent, partial disability. Many people continue to experience such symptoms for many years.
- Car accidents: Whiplash could result from a rear-end collision involving a car
- Sports injury: Contact sports such as rugby and football could sometimes be a cause of whiplash
- Physical-related injuries: A fall or being hit on the head by a heavy object are one of the possible causes of whiplash
Signs and Symptoms
- Difficult to concentrate
- Tinnitus (Ringing in the ear)
- Headaches, Migraines, Dizziness
- Limited ability to move your neck, especially bending and rotating
- Upper and lower back pain
A neck tension is generally referred to muscles spasms or soft tissue injuries. This tends to be a common complaint. Your neck is made of flexible muscles supporting the weight of your head. They can result in injury and irritation due to overuse and poor posture
- Repetitive motion: Those working in professions that require them to do repetitive movements often cause a strain in their neck.
- Poor posture: A neck tension may occur when your neck muscles work too hard. This happens when muscles necessary to hold your head upright is too tensed up.
- Spending too much time on your devices: In this digital age, we spend a huge amount of time using our devices. We tend to hunch over them when using it and this can be a common cause of a neck strain.
- Improper sleep position: It is important to keep your head and neck aligned with the rest of your body while sleeping. Neck tension could be resulted from sleeping with a large pillow that is excessively elevating your neck
- Heavy bags: When carrying a heavy bag, particularly those with straps going over your shoulder, one side of the neck could be strained which may result in a tension.
Signs and Symptoms
Take caution if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Deteriorating pain in certain areas of your neck
- Stiff muscles
- Muscles spasms
- The back of your neck feels sore
- Difficult to turn your head in certain directions