What You Need To Know About Slipped Disc
Slipped Disc is one of the many conditions Singaporeans suffer from, which may be caused by a sports injury or injuries during the 2-year National Service for Singaporean men. Known by many other names such as Spinal Disc herniation, the condition originates from the lower back. It may not be easy to detect lower back pain as a slipped disc. Therefore, Singapore Pain Solutions aims to help provide clear and concise information on slipped discs so that when you suffer from any related symptoms, you will be crystal clear about it.
Slipped Disc Myths
That Need To Be Debunked
Slipped Disc Cannot Be Treated Without Surgery
If you are someone who suffers from slipped disc and fear surgery, fret not. Slipped disc can easily be corrected without the need for surgery, so long as it is not serious. In most cases, people with herniated disc can recover naturally after a period of time. Non-surgical methods include painkillers and muscle relaxants to speed up recovery process.
Slipped Disc Is Caused By Injury
This is true for some cases. Other factors such as genetic predisposition and a person’s lifestyle habits (diet or smoking, for instance) can also cause slipped disc. Age could be a factor as well. As you age, your spinal discs could lose elasticity and become more susceptible to wear and tear, eventually causing damage to them.
Slipped Disc May Result In Permanent Limitation & Disability
Individuals who suffer from slipped disc are afraid that they may no longer enjoy the lifestyle they used to have. This could be their favourite sport, spending quality time with their loved ones or even as simple as sitting comfortably on a chair. While the condition of herniated disc impedes their daily lives, this is just temporary. With an appropriate set of treatments, they will recover fully from the miserable condition.
Slipped Disc can be referred to as a condition in which the disc between vertebrates (called nucleus pulposus) slips out from the inside to the outer part of the spinal disc. When the disc material compresses the nerve resulting in inflammation and swelling, it causes pain and discomfort for one. However, some people do not experience the symptoms and do not require surgery to correct the problem.
Treatment For Slipped Disc
Slipped Disc could be caused by the following factors:
- Age and Gender: Men between the ages of 20 and 50 are more prone to a slipped disc condition.
- Poor Lifting Posture: Lifting heavy objects (or weight) using your back muscles instead of your legs, increases the risk of back injuries that can result in a slipped disc
- Weight: The heavier you are, the more stress is accumulated on your lower back
- Smoking: Smoking may result in decreased supply of oxygen to the spinal disc and consequently, rapid degeneration.
- Sports: High-intensity sports such as rugby, hockey, and weight lifting could increase the risk of slipped disc.
- Driving: A prolonged period of sitting in a moving and vibrating car may damage spinal structure and discs